Wednesday, June 28, 2006

SavoirFaire, Samples & GSM Conversion
This morning as I scanned the American Artist website, debating about subscribing, I came across a link to the SavoirFaire website and discovered they are currently offering artists samples of Fabriano Artistico papers in traditional white and ultra-white. If you're an artist interested you'll find a link on their main page or you can click here.
After requesting the sample I spent some time browsing the SavoirFaire site and I began to wonder about the weight of the Artistico paper. Weight describes the thickness of a paper - which is especially important for a paper you plan to wet with paint! On the artistico portion of the site they have various sizes listed at 200, 300, & 640 gsm. I've been using 140lb Canson watercolor papers but I had no idea how the weights convert from gsm to lbs.
Being the info hound I am I took a spin around the web and found this great conversion site: Inveresk - Watercolour Paper Weights. Although the conversions are not exact you'll get a very good feel for the comperable weights. The site also explains why Grams per Square Meter is a truer measure and why pounds can be a bit misleading. Lbs can change between two papers of the same thickness if the size of the sheet changes...
Confusing! Thank goodness for the internet - Joyce Brandon

1 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

Thanks for the referal Joyce! I just requested some paper samples too! I tried to request a catalogue, but not available yet. I'm painting on Arches right now, so good way to try some new ones.

July 05, 2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home